RE: [T3] Trans prob.

On 31 May 99, at 17:42, Renville, Jason wrote:

> Also I noticed that plug #3 is leaking by some compression.  The sound was
> audible if you put your head close and listened.  I removed the plug which
> was terribly hard to remove.  Broke out the inspection mirror and saw that
> the threads  were basically all buggered up.  Now where do I find those
> thread repair kits in Portland?  Guess I'll be pulling the engine to repair
> the threads anyway.

I see that others have recommended Timeserts, which is a brand name
not associated with any other company that I know of.

While the Timeserts are a fine product, for spark plug repairs I
STRONGLY prefer Helicoils. There are a multitude of sound engineering
reasons to do this and I have done a number of my own heads with
complete satisfaction.

Any time you thread a spark plug into an aluminum head you need to
use a certain amount of care. If you use the same amount of care with
a plug in a helicoil you will never have any problems with them. If
you do the same with any kind of solid inserts, you will find that
the insert comes out with the plug almost every time you remove the
plug. This means that that new larger insert thread wears out.

Whatever you do, you can usually do it in the car, but you are much
more assured of doing a good job if you remove the engine and the
head.

Jim