From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org <type3@vwtype3.org>
Date: 31 May 1999 20:03
Subject: [T3] Valve cover gaskets

On 31 May 99, at 0:03, S1ckb0y13@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/30/99 5:14:56 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> type3-d-request@vwtype3.org writes:
>
> << I find that some of the tan cork gaskets are just very thin; the
>  black rubberized cork ones are much thicker. Tha good gaskets tend to
>  pretty much fill the recess in the valve cover; the cheap ones rattle
>  around loose in thº‰è¿are to be avoided.
>   >>
> how about doubling up on the gaskets?  cementing two together to make it
> extra thick. just a thought, don't know if i'd do it or not. Any
thoughts?

That might be tempting except that the same gaskets that seem to be
too thin are also almost always small in the other directions, too;
they don't fit up to the edge of the recess in the valve cover. These
gaskets are hard to keep sealed all around because they often creep
off in one direction or another and "fall off the edge" on the other
side.

It's a mystery to me as to why anyone would make such a gasket. They
don't work well and they don't generate any sales after the first
one. It is getting harder every year to find the good ones, but it is
WELL worth the effort.

JIm