[T3] Automatic transmÓ !esent-Message-ID: <"x-ukn1.0.DW4.lXUet"@maria.yourwebhost.com>

Hullo from the hot and sticky South,
After a grueling couple of weeks working on my husband's 74 westie for a
show, we are once again back to "other" projects, including my 71
squareback ("Fritz").  Fritz has something of a nasty auto tranny slip, for
one, it won't stay in Park, for another thing, it has a weird little slip
into 3rd from 2nd (it sounds like: Whiirrrrr...Whiiirrr... chachunk)
(Imagine rpm revving sounds, then, into gear).  Wazzup with that?  I think
we'd diagnosed a loose cable "when we last left our hero", which we tried
to tighten, but to no avail.  Is there a replacement cable for this thing?
We contemplated changing out to a manual tranny, but it sounds WAY above
our current automotive skills, and since we do all the work on all our VW's
(type 1s, 2s, and 3), we're stuck with what we know.  I'd really like to
get this thing back on the road before the end of summer, if possible.  ANY
help that you fine type3 gurus could offer would be mucho appreciato.
Also, one other dumb question:  Will Empi style 8 spoke wheels fit stock
165R15 tires and go under the fenders of this otherwise stock squareback?
I'm thinking a little resto custom thing, since stawags are kinda hot right
now.

Thanks in advance,
Lauren Pursley
64 bug, 71 kombi, 65 amd 66 kombis, 70 deluxe microbus, 74 westie and one
BEEAUtiful 71 squareback!