Re: [T3] Pending front end work

On 28 Jul 99, at 12:57, Dave Hall wrote:

> Some ball-joints have a plastic plug in the top; they break rather easily,
> but if you successfully unscrew the plug, you can fit a grease nipple in
> the taper thread there.

The plastic plugs were used up thru 71. The later cars, and all the
replacement ball joints don't have the plugs. The plugs can be
removed if you clean all the dirt away from around them and then
CAREFULLY turn them CCW while pulling upwards.

If you do this, it is probably best to lube them and then reinstall
the plugs, because otherwise there is the temptation to lube again in
5k miles. If they are over lubed the boots will tear and that will be
the end of the ball joint.

FWIW, all my ball joints are still the originals. I have never had to
replace one. I HAVE lubed some of them, and on at least one occasion
I replaced a bad boot on one and managed to save it.

Jim