[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: type3-d Digest V99 #412

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:38:27 -0800
> From: Greg Merritt <gregm@vwtype3.org>
> To: type3@vwtype3.org
> Subject: [T3] keeping CA black & yellow plates, '69 Squareback
> Question for California T3'ers...
> 	My '69 lived most of its life in California, with the last two
> years or so in Michigan.  The car now has Michigan tags, but I just moved
> back to California, and I've still got the original black & yellow
> California plates.
> 	When I go to register the car at the DMV next week, can I just walk
> in there with the old plates?  Will they let me use them?  Any special
> hoops to walk through?
> -Greg

The black and yellow ,Ěhre not allowed to be reissued.  Your best bet is to find one of your old California registration slips and see if you can claim "non-operational" for the last few years, and a lost or misplaced title.  If they get even a hint of your out of state registration, you haven't got a chance.  I'm not certain about the import to California rules about cars older than 25 years, but newer cars are subject to a smog impact fee just for bringing it across the state line, whether is was originally a California car or not.  By the way, if you are an AAA member, you can get your plates there, and avoid the DMV.

Tim Dapper

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]