[T3] Fwd: Coriolis Effect Down Under

In a message dated 7/23/99 4:35:57 AM Central Daylight Time, DGaries808
writes:

<< o:	type3@vwtype3.org
 CC:	planerart@ozemail.com.au

 QuirkkruiQ@aol.com was asking about the Coriolis effect in Australia.  It
refers to the name of a French scientist -- Gaspard Coriolis -- who lived
from 1792 to 1843 and who found out that due to the Earth's rotation, in the
Northern hemisphere water in the toilet swirls counterclockwise and water in
a toilet in the southern hemisphere swirls clockwise.  It also has to do with
the directions of cyclones in the northern-southern hemispheres.

 In the northern hemisphere, cyclones should rotate counterclockwise, and in
the southern hemisphere they should be termed anticyclones, which rotate
clockwise.  The Great Red Spot on Jupiter and the orientation of Sun spots
are examples where the Coriolis effect comes into play in the Solar System;
both being in the southern hemisphere should be termed anticyclones.  On the
Sun though, they reverse about every 12 years, giving us the Sun Spot cycle.

 Is it true that toilet water swirls clockwise in Australia?  It should be
that way in Australia@rn Africa, and south-South America.  For people
who live directly on the Equator, water should flush straight down.  I don't
know what effect that is.  It would be interesting to find out, though.

 I just took a beer break, and sure enough, the water swirled
counterclockwise in the toilet.

 Don Garies
 dgaries808@aol.com >>

Just for kicks, because I suspected that something was wrong, I tried the
bathroom in front
of my apartment -- it swirled out clockwise. So,  I went over to my
daughter's place, and the
water swirled counterclockwise. So. I called my girlfriend who has a pot in
her front room and another in the rear. Her toilets emptied one clockwise and
the other counterclockwise.
So, I don't know if ole Coriolis knew what he was talking about.

Knews to me! But I'd still like to know which way the toilet empties down
under.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com

refers to the name of a French scientist -- Gaspard Coriolis -- who lived
from 1792 to 1843 and who found out that due to the Earth's rotation, in the
Northern hemisphere water in the toilet swirls counterclockwise and water in
a toilet in the southern hemisphere swirls clockwise.  It also has to do with
the directions of cyclones in the northern-southern hemispheres.

In the northern hemisphere, cyclones should rotate counterclockwise, and in
the southern hemisphere they should be termed anticyclones, which rotate
clockwise.  The Great Red Spot on Jupiter and the orientation of Sun spots
are examples where the Coriolis effect comes into play in the Solar System;
both being in thee[n hemisphere should be termed anticyclones.  On the
Sun though, they reverse about every 12 years, giving us the Sun Spot cycle.

Is it true that toilet water swirls clockwise in Australia?  It should be
that way in Australia, southern Africa, and south-South America.  For people