[T3] 2.0 for 65 Notch

Hey there, I'm a new listie *wave*.  Just bought a `65 notch, no engine,
straight body (`67 fasty fenders, disc brakes and other bits on board).  I
have a buddy who is selling his `72 porsche 914 with alloy rims and a good
running 2.0 engine for cheap that I envision plopping into my notch.  Am I
dreaming?  He of course tells me that he believes the notch can handle this
size engine without a problem.  Also want to redrill the discs to fit the
alloys...
You'll have to forgive me, I'm completely new to this year of VW, used to
own a `71 and a `72 square (oh the joys of fuel injection).  I do know a
bit about VW's but not enough to know whether or not he's pulling my leg.
Can someone please pony up an opinion on this?
Obviously I'm not looking for a stock vehicle, more of a fun in-town daily
driver that might break 65mph
Thanks!
Carrie Paxton

`65 Notch plant-stand...