[T3] backfire and caster

Some questions:

My car runs great and has a stock engine except for air cleaners.  Problem
lately is, that if i let off on the gas and allow any engine braking, i get
a huge backfire out of the exhaust.  is this timing?  i just had it checked
a couple of months ago. (along with the dwell and valves)  what is the order
of possibilities of the source of the problem?

i adjusted my suspension a few yewso\so that the front would not be
higher than the back.  it is just about level.  when i drive on the freeway,
i notice that it doesn't track extremely well.  i know this is because my
caster (or was it camber?) is now not stock.  are there caster shims i can
get to put it back get better straight tracking?  i think i have heard about
people using them in bugs in VWTrends.

thanks

Dan Hoopes
dan@ewed.net