RE: [T3] ACK! What did I do????

I always clean both surfaces (engine and cover) before putting on a new
gasket.  I have found that the plain cork gaskets seal the best, however, I
only use them once.  I'm a little weary about reusing them as I tried it
once and ended up with a big oil leak!

There is a lot of oil vapor that gets swirled around in our engines.  A good
amount of this vapor finds its way into the rocker assembly.  When it comes
in contact with the valve covers it quickly cools and condenses, then drains
back into the case as you've discovered.  The valve covers help to cool the
engine AND the oil, so this is why one shouldn't chrome the valve covers
(chrome retains heat) on an engine :)

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/