Re: [T3] ACK! What did I do????

On 18 Jul 99, at 15:24, Bill Niles wrote:

> What could have happened? I didn't have a single leak before this.

You have 1 of 4 possible problems: dirt under gasket, gasket slipped
to one side, cracked gasket, or valve cover bail stretched.

When you're finished adjusting the valves you need to make sure that
the head is clean where the gasket will seat and that the gasket is
clean where it will mate to the head. If you put in a new gasket you
should tack it down at each of the 4 corners and in the middle of the
long sides with gasket compound.

I re-use my head gaskets as long as they remain soft enough that I
can push a fingernail into them. Once they are hard, they get
replaced.

Poor quality gaskets are easy to find, they are undersized and thin.
The good ones are black impregnated cork, and more that 1/8" thick.
They FILL the recess in the valve cover.

The valve cover bails can be stretched if you try to push the UP and
off the cover. They can be crunched back to shape with some effort.

Jim