Re: Fuel question

> lower-octane fuel burns *hotter*.

JimA=> Not true.

OK, tell me where I get off track:

Octane is added to fuel to slow down the burn. This spreads combustion
over time to apply power through more of the stroke. Lower-octane fuel
burns faster, concentrating the expended energy closer to the spark. The
burn is pushing on the piston for less time, so less energy is converted
to motion of the piston, and more to heat in the head and chamber walls.

Knock is eliminated when more of the burn takes place after TDC, and
this is the primary benefit of higher octane, but there's also this
element of combustion efficiency that makes a difference in terms of
cooling that I at least believe I have perceived directly.  Are you
saying this is all just bunk?

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 343