[T3] Transaxle questions

Hi folks,

I'm considering rebuilding the tranny in my 68 Fasty.  I've got most of the
paperwork since the car was new, and it appears that the swingaxle has never
seen service other than a seal change a few times.  I'm starting to get a
"chunk" sound when I go into 3rd gear and I know I need to replace an
axle(long story).  My questions are, does anyone have any experience with
close ratio trannys in a type 3?  The car is a daily driver that sees weekend
dragstrip use.  I rarely use it on the highway, I just never need to.  What
if any modifications can I make to have it witF/he rigors of drag
racing a little better?  And can a T3 tranny use the tranny straps I see
advertised in the mags for the T1 swingaxles?  Thanks in advance for any
advice.

Cayson Ellsworth
68 Fastback
69 Square (parts)