Re: [T3] Cylinder Head

Well, it certainly won't hurt to retorque, if you're sure you've got a
leak.  The problem is, what caused the leak?  If you've got pulled
studs, retorquing may help for a short while, but eventually the studs
will pull some more and you can repeat this until there's no stud in
the case.  Also, by now, the sealing surfaces are probably shot from
all the hot gas going through.  I went through this drill with my
original engine.  The thing is, if you don't do the testing yourself,
you really don't know what you've got there, you've got someone's
opinion that maybe just wants to sell you some work.  An elementary
test is to run a compression check all way round and if 3-4 are really
low, you may have a loose head. It could also be cracked.  Check the
head nut torque, if loose, you've found a problem.  If the nuts are
torqued to spec,  you may have a cracked head.  Also don't tighten the
nuts over Bentley specs.    If it was mine, I'd have the engine out by
now and be looking at the head, but not every one is set up to do
that.  You can replace a head  with the engine in the car, but it
depends on how many miles you've got on the engine as to whether it's
worth it or to go for a complete rebuild.  Is this a carb conversion
from FI?