Re: [T3] Engine Rebuilding.

Engine rebuilding:

Use good parts. This presupposes that you can recognize good parts,
which none of us can, so you have to be careful and buy your parts
from someone reputable.

Heads: The original heads are fine as long as they're still okay. I
have never bought a new head; all mine are OE. Use the right valves;
either the intakes or the exhausts are supposed to have a chromed
valve stem, I can never remember which it is, but the WRONG ones are
commonly available out there. Exhausts are more expensive than
intakes. Replace the guides.

Oil: I recommend a full flow filter, but this takes some doing and
it's not easy to do it right ohn 3. I can sell you a drawing of
how to modify the crossbar for the special oil pump cover for $1, or
do the mod on your crossbar for $40.

Crank: I LOVE the counterweighted cranks that Berg welds up. If you
have a good stock crank, Berg can modify it without regrinding it;
this gives the strongest possible crank with the least high RPM flex.

Case: Berg says to replace it, but I feel that he is talking about
racing. I have always used GOOD used cases that I have sent to RIMCO
to have case savers installed and to be align bored. They are quick,
knowledgable, and very reasonably priced.

Flywheel: Keep it stock. The added mass on a CW crank does not make
up for the mass removed from the flywheel because it is not just
mass; it is mass times (radius squared). Lightened flywheels are
necessary for racing, but acutely reduce drivability on the street.

Read a good book before you start. I recommend this one:

How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines
by Bill Fisher
published by H. P. Books, Tucson, AZ, 1970
ISBN 0-912656-03-4
(excellent book, well written and researched)

Of course you should not attempt this without the Bentley manual:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

You need to understand most of what is in both of these (regarding
engines) before you start.

Jim