Re: [T3] On going saga

GrantV=> my mechanic told me I had to sign this contract ... or he would
      => not release my car.

There is a principle in the business called the 'mechanic's lein,'
allowing the service provider to take control of the property if his
work is not paid for. He is attempting to employ this principle, but
he's doing it in amateur fashion. The document you posted was not
written by a legal professional, but, as you suspect, if you agree to it
you're giving away your deposit and your rights to any claim against
anything he's done to your car. This is probably not a good idea, I feel
confident the guy's a snake _ù¡2ably incompetent enough to have
harmed your engine besides.

Important question: have you signed anything *else*? Is there an actual
contract covering the work to be performed, as this document implies? If
so, you need to read it carefully to find out where you stand. If the
'contract' is just a verbal agreement, you have more freedom to operate
and less right to claim against him.

Another one: From the document I might infer that the car is not titled
in your name. If your parents actually own the car, get them in on the
problem, since he's actually ripping *them* off. When your father comes
to pick up his car, the snake may change his tune. If he's working you
over it's because he thinks you're weak.

It sounds like you're probably not gonna get your deposit back without
taking him to court, and if he's a real jerk you'll have a hard time
getting your car out without paying him off. I can't judge without
knowing both sides of the story, but if you're sure you're in the right,
it's time to play hardball. The only easy way out is to give him
whatever he wants, so suck it up and get ready for some hassle and
conflict.

If he intends to charge you for *any* work or parts, he has to itemize
them, and if he's added value to your engine you have to accept that and
pay for it, but maybe not at his ripoff shop rate. The storage charges
are completely bogus, no judge will let him get away with that. If he
will not produce an itemized, checkable list of expenses, take him to
court, you've got him. If he does produce it, have your new mechanic
check the work and estimate its value while inventorying your parts.
(You will have to pay this gentleman for his time, but try to get that
cost built into the overall job. Bear in mind that a basket-case engine
is a nasty mess for anyone to take on, so this will cost.)

Offer the snake the fair value of the parts and labor he's put in less the
fair value of parts he's lost, stolen or damaged (plus 25% on original
engine parts), right down to sheeZ|D;screws. If he doesn't accept
that deal, take him to court, you've got him and your deposit back.
Having made a reasonable offer to pay and been refused, if he doesn't
give you back the car at that point, you've got a claim against him for
car rental for every day he delays your getting it fixed. Tell him so,
without yelling. Sign nothing, be firm, think carefully before you
speak. Learn about small-claims court, it's not expensive and doesn't
require a lawyer.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Riviera Ghia