Re: [T3] Resurrecting engine

On 3 Jul 99, at 14:17, Neil wrote:

> I've got a 65 type III that's been sitting for years.  The motor I have
> came from a running car about 10 years ago.  It was running pretty good
> when it was pulled.  It's not siezed up or anything.  I want to get it
> into the car so I can drive it around town.  What should I do to it before
> attempting to start it up?  What seals should I replace?

I would just pull the spark plugs and squirt a bit of iol in each
cylinder then see if it will still turn over.

If it is not rusted up and seized, then install it in the car with no
plugs and change the oil. Charge the battery and crank the engine
with no plugs until you have oil pressure, then install the plugs and
try to start it.

Once it starts, run it for 10-20 minutes at medium rpm. Driving
around conservatively is fine, but avoid idling and high rpms. Then
park it and change the oil again. Let it cool down completely and
adjust the valves, the dwell, and the timing.

Enjoy.

Jim