Re: SV: [T3] type 4 trans

----------
From: "Patrick J. Morton" <patmor@utu.fi>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: SV: [T3] type 4 trans
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:53:59 +0300

At 10:50 +0100 01/25/1999, Sandin, Karl-Olov wrote:

>Does, for example, a 1.8 FI (bus) engine fit under the deck lid with its std.
>cooling system and FI?
At 3:53 Jan25 Mr Morton replies, in part;
<snip>
Installing a 2.0 Typ 4 Transporter engine would require some front sheet
metal modifications or then using the same parts off of Typ 4 Variant.  I
would not suggest using fuel injected 1.8 Typ 4 Variant engine eventhough
it would be a direct swap.
--Why is this?

That is arguable.  Oil filtration is, IMHO, overrated (sorry Toby).  Maybe
on a bigger engine than what the Typ 3s were offered with it adds to
longevity.  Further, if you have no qualms with removing Typ 4 heads from
time to time, having new valve seats machined in and then re-installing the
whole lot, you could consider it 'better'.

--How often would I have to have valves and seats done?   This is a problem that I haven't
heard before ( but maybe I just wasn't listening....)

Just toying with the idea,
Theo