Re: [T3] Ever So Slightly Slammed

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:03:56 -0600, you wrote:

>On 14 Jan 99, at 9:45, David L. Timmins wrote:
>
>> Hayne's doesn't get into as much de5›ežthe
>> back torsion bars as the front.  How many splines are there on the rear
>> torsion bars?  Do I need to remove trailing arms and axles (CV joints) to
>> do this?

You will have to diassemble the rear suspension, yes.  Not an easy
job, particularly if you don't have the special, made-up tool for
jacking the trailing arms up over their stops.  Bentley has the
details of this, it's made out of a standard VW jack.  It also has the
details for adjusting the splines.

>> Speaking of trailing arms....one of the trailing arms was minus the
>> shoulder bolt and bushings (removed free of charge by  the PO).  I've got
>> the parts to replace them but  I'm a little sketchy on the procedure.
>> Haynes gets into the removal of the trailing arms, so in order to do an
>> excellent job, should I remove the trailing arm and place the bushings into
>> the trailing arm?  Or, should I try and mouse the bushings past the hangers
>> and into the trailing arms, if that is even possible?

Are we talking about the actual bushing in the arm, or just the
washers that go with the shoulder bolt?  I had a shoulder bolt come
out and lost those washers, had to unbolt the trailing arm from the
spring plate to get the replacements in, no other way to do it.  It's
a nasty job, easily right up there with replacing the shift-rod
bushing.  Get a 17mm allen key and a hefty rawhide mallet, you'll need
both.

>> >From the political desk.....the number of SUV's not under passenger car
>> emission guidelines more than make up for us resto-freaks that DO care
>> about the environment.

In CO anyway, they've made the SUVs toe the line with passenger cars
now, have to meet tighter emission regs.  Good thing, too, about 60%
of the traffic population here is moose wagons with drivers who don't
really care about that little red T3 alongside them.  The funny thing
is that I've got better traction with my SB and the Nokia snows than
they do with 4WD and dry-pavement tires.