[T3] carb problems

i have just finished slapping together the 1641cc motor for my '64' fast
(really a '67 but with 64 notch front fenders and pan).
she has a engle110 cam and 32mm baby dell's.
first, it is hard as hell to start any time of day )no real problem with
me).second, after about 10min of running at an idle (900rmp's) it ever
so slightly starts to backfire and any gas i try to give it it wants to
die unless i feather the pedal A-LOT.
as far as i can tell the timing is set ok, and the points condenser are
in good condition the plugs are a light brown color

i have no idea on hoe to adjust the carb's using the single screw it
gives me

any ideas or comments would be great.

Jason
64(or 67) fastback