Re: [T3] For whom the bell tolls...

Apologies, listers, if this thread carries insufficient T3 content.
Lemme know if you want me to shut up about it.

JimA=> I have a VERY difficult P£}h this claim.

I did, too, but let's not overstate it. The results I find most
interesting are from a continuing study of exhaust emissions in traffic
using a mobile laser spectrometer, which is able to identify specific
exhaust content from specific vehicles in motion. This study, which
has been peer-reviewed, has shown that something like 90% of the noxious
gases emitted by passenger cars come from a little less than 10% of the
cars, and there is no reliable correlation by age of the car. In other
words, 10% of cars of *all ages* are by far the largest polluters.

But even if you don't buy that, it seems clear to me that the numbers of
older cars on the road as a proportion of all cars does not warrant the
special attention given them as scrappage targets. Further, most
scrappage schemes have not discriminated between a once-a-year parade car,
a well-maintained daily driver, a smoking pile of rust, and a dead hulk
in someone's back yard. The targets have been changing somewhat as the
supporters of this sort of legislation have discovered which ones are
harder, but I think the history of the effort shows that the elimination
of gross pollution sources is not its goal.

=> I love my cars, but I also love the environment

As do I, and I have the street cred as a tree-hugging activist to prove
it. I agree with you utterly on taking personal responsibility, but I
will not allow the suits to get away with political shell games and
murdering the environment while I regularly assuage my liberal guilt at
the recycling center. My cars are part of the problem, sure, but they're
not a big enough part to deserve crushing to benefit the shareholders of
Unocal. It makes more sense to me to start with cleaning up the largest
sources of pollution.

=> IMHO, there is really just one main problem out there and that is
=> overpopulation.

I look at this in a different way: it's not what you do so much as how
you go about doing it. Me-firstism is the problem, and it only grows
more obvious wàø–y of us meez trying to be first.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KGhia 1600