RE: [T3] For whom the bell tolls...

I'm always concerned, but the truth of the matter is, so long as these cars
pass emissions standards of some form, there just aren't enough of them left
on the road to make a significant difference.  This is usually born out by
voters, come pinch time.

For no real good reason, this keeps coming up in Arizona, as well.  Due to
the high number of cars still in one piece here, though, there are lots of
collector groups here that rally around that very point.  I know
California's different in a lot of ways that are good (lots of good
conservation type stuff), but they still have mayors getting shot full of
holes, despite the unrelenting legislation.

A conspiracy-minded person might think that this was driven by new car
makers; as this could be the only real backer behind such a move ($24K for a
new Beetle?  Please!).  With the amount of toxic waste being dumped into our
water table every day by each and every dry cleaner on the planet; my little
Square, or for that matter, every Type III ever built, doesn't amount to a
hill of beans.

My 2p.