Re: [T3] A-Ha!

On 11 Jan 99, at 11:05, James MacNaughton wrote:

> Well; Sunday morning (like 2am) I noticed that the stalling off was
> avertable by pumping the hell out of the gas pedal.  Almost as though it was
> getting *way* too much fuel.  It would go along fine, and then start choking
> up, but if I pumped madly on the gas, it would continue to run; *then*
> click!   And it would run fine.  'Weird,' I thought, and tried to go on down
> the road.  Click! And the car is stumbling and dying.  Pump madly, and
> click!  She runs fine.

If pumping helps, your engine dying from LACK of fuel.  70-3 FI has
extra contacts in the throttle position switch that give extra pulses
of fuel as the throttle opens.  You have made a very important
observation.

> *Then* I realise that there is an audible click coming from my dashboard
> coinciding perfectly with the performance of the car.  Somewhere, off in a
> dark corner of my mind, I hear a tiny voice say, 'there's a fuel pump relay
> under the dash, James...'

Yes that is the fuel pump relay clicking and it should not be.  The
fault, however, is not likely to be with that relay, but with the
wires that control it.

The two control wires come into that relay in a white translucent
plug.

One brings 12 V from the main power relay under the back seat.  That
wire should have 12 volts on it any time the key is ON.

The other wire comes from the ECU which supplys a ground whenever the
engine is running.  This wire comes through the engine compartment
and a connector that is just in front of the air intake runners that
feed cyls 3 & 4.  Look there to see it that connector is connected
securely.

If you have a voltmeter you should watch the voltage (with respect to
ground) of each of those wires at the fuel pump relay.  Your problem
is with whichever one changes.  If neither changes when the relay
clicks then there is an internal problem in the relay.

You can remove and open the relay.  If might be fixable, or I have
good used ones.

Jim