Re: [T3] Air Cleaner question

Hello Dave,

>Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:59:25 -0800
>To: type3@vwtype3.org
>From: David Yaghoubian <goob@dnai.com>
>Subject: Re: [T3] Air Cleaner question
>

>>041.129.611.3
>>
>>It is a paper element aircleaner, not an oil bath.
>>
>>Can anyone tell me what this was originally for?  It fits perfectly,
>>but there is a piece on the left (drivers) side that slides on the
>>air cleaner to go over top the left side carb. Kind of like an
>>extension piece to complete the air cleaner. Without it, the left
>>carb has no air cleaner and the entire unit is working for the right
>>side only!
>
>Hi Tom-
>
>I have the same air cleaner set up (041.129.611.3) on my dual carb
(solex)
>68 sqbk. When I bought the carbs, linkage and air cleaner, I was told
that
>they were stock '67 parts.
>
>So, do you or don't you have the small left side carb piece?

That's right. I am missing the small left side carb piece. Anyone have
one kicking around you don't know what to do with??

>The air
>cleaner is a 2-piece unit, with the small left (driver's) side piece
being
>held to the rest of the air cleaner by a large rubber strap (kindof
like a
>big rubber band that seals the gaps and holds the piece on there but
>doesn't require hose clamps.) When set up right, this allows you to
move
>the left side piece around to make it easier to remove and install.
>
>Thus, you should have:
>
>-one very large right side piece [which a) connects to the right side
carb,
>b) holds the paper air filter element, c) connects to the fresh air
inlet
>at the right rear of the engine compartment, and d) accepts the return
from
>your oil breather outlet]

Have it!

>- one small left side piece (which connects to the left carb and the
large
>right side piece)

Don't have it! :^(

>-one fat rubber band thing to hold them together (anyone got the part
>number for this?)

Don't have it, not too worried about this part.

>-of course, the paper filter element (dont know the part number. would
like
>to though! )

Don't have it either.

>let us know what you find. Maybe somebody out there has a left side
piece
>waiting to be rejoined with its lost bretheren..... ;)
>
>Dave Y.
>68 Square (ying)
>65 Cadillac convert (yang)

Thanks for the info Dave. At least I'm getting some interesting
information.

Regards,
Tom 'air cleaner challenged' Cloud