[T3] 311 117 151 A (oil cooler question)

Hi Volks-

I am trying to fix an oil cooler leak and have a few questions. I went to
the FLAPS and got oil cooler seals (part number 311 117 151 A). After doing
the engine-in-car tin removal and taking off the oil cooler, I am now kinda
stumped.

First of all, the existing seals are much flatter and thinner than the new
ones I picked up. I realize this could be from the natural compression of
having been squished between the oil cooler and the engine casing, but I
just wanted confirm if it's normal for the new ones to be about 2X the
thickness (height) of old ones and like 1/3 thinner in diameter.  No sense
replacing the seals if they're the wrong ones!

Secondly, the existing seals were not visibly torn or damaged. Because the
bottom half of the oil cooler is oily and dirty (I assume from dirt being
blown by and sticking to oily surfaces) I am now wondering if perhaps it's
not the seals but the cooler itself that has a leak (!?). Does anyone know
how to tell if it's your oil cooler leaking and not the seals? Or is the
oil cooler being all oily and dirty enough reason to assume it is the
culprit?  Oil was slowly leaking out near the centermost 10mm nut (one of 3
holding down the cooler) so I assumed it was the seals. Does a slow leak
(as opposed to a gush) also lead to a Bad Oil Cooler diagnosis?

TIA for any advise.

Cheers,

Dave Y.

PS. This is my first time doing my own oil cooler work (after 30 years of
ownership) so it's kindof exciting actually doing it after reading Muir for
years and hearing it was so easy. Hopefully, I didn't get in over my
head..... :)