Re: [T3] Stock dual Carb on FI Engine?

On 6 Jan 99, at 2:50, jk wrote:

>     I have had been thinking about this for a while, my fuel injection on my
> squareback '73 is totaled. The parts had gone bad however I would like to
> install dual carburetors on my stock 1600cc engine. Wondering is this
> possible, taking out dual carburetors from an old squareback engine like '66
> or '67 onto my car.

The answer to this depends more on what you want, or expect, than on
straight objective criteria.  In the first place, it is unlikely that
your FI is "totaled", it is quite likely that most everything there
is fine, but that your biggest problem will be to find what is really
wrong.  By far, your cheapest approach would be to post your symptoms
here and try to get help figuring out what the real problem is.  On
the other hand, just trying to guess what the problem is and throwing
new parts at it in the hope that something will stick, is bound to be
the most expensive approach.

If you decide to switch to carbs, a 67 setup should bolt right on and
be reasonably priced, IF you can find a set.  66 will have 6V chokes
and single port manifolds/heads, so that is something of a problem.

Aftermarket carbs will be expensive, will not have a choke, and will
be sure to have a long learning curve.  Sorry, but there does not
seem to be a free lunch here.

In the long run I would urge you to at least attempt to fix your FI.
It is durable, reliable, and gives good power and fuel economy.  It
will also pass your state's vehicle inspections, if you have any.

Jim