[T3] Tranny Synchro Dilemma

Hey all,

Hope you all fulfilled by now your resolutions for the New Year.

I am in the process of dismantling our '65 Variant to have some welding
done before having it repainted.  I removed the engine to get at some tiny
rust spots in the engine compartment.  I was not planning on removing the
transmission/rear axle assembly because I still want to roll the car around
to work on it.

Question:  Since I am taking the car apart, what is the collective wisdom
of the list regarding whether it is worthwhile/possible to tear into the
transmission to replace worn synchros between gears 1,2 and 2,3?  I have
done all other work on my cars, but the final bastion of dark magic remains
the gearbox.  If T3s were more plentiful here in Croatia, I would look for
a replacement gearbox.  However, there aren't any that I know of.  From the
looks of the teardown in Bentley, synchro replacement looks like quite a
job.  Are the synchros, as replacment parts, still available?

Thanks all,

John
Zagreb, Croatia
'65 Variant