Re: [T3] Duh!

On 4 Jan 99, at 8:35, James MacNaughton wrote:

> So in any event, the monkey at the FLAPS (same FLAPS that had me chasing my
> tail about FI) also gave me the wrong disc brake pads (the little O's are
> too far apart, and won't fit on the little sliding rods.  But, I couldn't
> figure a way to get the pads out, short of breaking the two halves of the
> caliper apart (She's an early 71).  This was unbelievably messy, and a
> tremendous hassle, as I then (obviously) had to bleed the brakes (after not
> being able to replace the pads).

Once you get the right pads you have to get the old ones out.  You
must start by pushing the caliper pistons back into the calipers.
There's no point in trying to shortcut this because the new pads will
be thicker and the pistons must be pressed home eventually.

1) remove the pad retaining pins

2) since you're about to push all 4 pistons back into the calipers,
make sure that the brake fluid reservoir is not full.  If it is, it
will overflow as you do this.  Bleed off fluid as necessary.

3) with a large pair of channel-locks, squeeze each pad back toward
its side of the caliper; this starts to push each piston in.

4) stick a crowbar in between the DISK and the PAD and lever the pad
all the way sideways pushing its piston all the way back into its
bore

5)  with the channel-locks, or any tool that seems to work, grab or
lever the pads to the rear and out of the caliper.  Do not pull the
thin steel piston retaining plates (that should be behind the pads)
out of the caliper.  DO NOT pry between the pad and the piston.  You
WILL slip and cut the sealing boot around the piston and ruin it.  If
you do this you will get to spend lots more money in a couple of
months when the caliper freezes up!

6) file the excess bonded material off the top and bottom edges of
your new pads.  They are always too wide and fit too tight in the
caliper.

7) tap the new pads into place in the caliper lightly with a hammer.
They should not be loose, but they should be movable by hand when you
are done.

8) install the retaining pins with a hammer as shown in the manual.

Jim