Re: [T3] collector exhaust

Just for curiosity's sake, what make is it?  I think what I had
originally on the SB ten years back was the same as what you're
describing, wish I had it back.  Mine had the telescoping tubes from
the heater boxes, the 2-4 tubes pivoted on a straight section of pipe
that they fed into, muffler flange was attached to the straight
section. Mine didn't have any muffler clamps, the tubes were close
enough that carbon soon filled the gap.  Probably would have been a
better setup if I had put clamps on it, but I left it as I got it and
it passed CA smog.  Was really easy to take off, too.  I got rid of it
because the muffler went and no one in the area had one to fit.  Now
that I've got welding equipment available, I'd cut the flange loose
and weld on a thicker one oriented to fit the available mufflers. If
you clamp it, just use standard muffler clamps with the u-bolt, not
the VW ones.  The thing about this setup was that it was pretty much
independant of the engine width, I've had a terrible time trying to
get Bugpack headers to fit(all I could get) and mine is about as stock
an engine as it gets.  Had to get the torch out and modify some of the
bends.  Also had to cobble up some method of passing air to the heater
boxes, but that's another story.  Make sure you support those dual
mufflers, they'll break things vibrating if you don't.