Re: [T3] caught with my amps down...

Had a breakthrough this weekend.  I checked all of the wiring in the FI
circuits again and replaced the connector at the starter end of the
starting enrichment wire because it looked kind of dull.  I also
replaced the connector on the end of the wire from the battery to the
key switch and the connector from the key to the solenoid (starter
end).  When I tried to start the car, it fired right up.  I let it idle
for about 5 minutes, then it died abruptly.  I then checked the
connection for the cylinder head temperature sensor on Stan's
suggestion.  It looked kind of bad, so I cleaned it with some sandpaper
and electrical contact cleaner.  I also cleaned and tightened the
connector for the ECU at the same time.  Tried to start it again, it
fired right up and kept running.  Fuel pump was working correctly too.
I think it was a combination of the cylinder head sensor connection and
the computer connection.  Now I'm back to dealing with the oil leak, but
it looks like I'm headed for roadworthyness soon!

Bonus tip:  make sure your battery is mounted correctly.  On saturday,
when I was driving to work, I had to make a U-turn leaving the gas
station.  The battery in my super beetle isn't mounted well (no real
floor pan to bolt it down, just plywood), and it slid to one side and
disconnected the in-line connector in the wire from the battery to the
voltage regulator.  Kills the whole car rather dramatically - not even
dash lights - and I didn't notice the missing wire at first because it
had "sprung" over to the driver's side of the tunnel when it came
loose.  Luckily, it was only about 5 minutes walk from the office, but
it's a rather startling occurrence at 7:30 AM.  Really lit the fire
under my butt to get the fastback running properly, though. :-)

Jake Kooser