[T3] Inside the Type 3 Clock

> Subject: [T3] Clock repairs?
> Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:04:04 -0800
> From: Ernest <leucoplast@seanet.com>
> To: type3@vwtype3.org
>
> Hi, everybody. The clock on my squareback is broken (of course,) and I
> am wondering if it can be repaired. I just finished fixing my odometer,
> now I'm eyeing my broken clock. Does anyone have any experience with
> this? Can it even be repaired? I haven't opened it yet but I'm hoping
> that there are typical problems with all of the VW clocks that someone
> might have knowledge of. Thanks. Ernest

It may just need cleaning. Also note the following.  There is no motor in the clock.  The clock will consume power only intermittently. ( so infinite resistance is normal.) When working normally it does not keep time very well.  If what you want is an accurate clock I would convert it to a quartz movement.

The mechanism is similar to a wind up clock.  The clock will rewind itself every few minutes.  As the clock winds down, a connection inside is closed and the clock rewinds itself. It is only during this time that it draws power.

Clean lube and inspect the contacts.

Chris