Re: [T3] more on shocks

On 26 Feb 99, at 15:48, John Clift wrote:

> I had always been told that shocks held the wheels down, not hold up the
> car. But i agree that they probably do dampen the ride so all is smooooth.

If we did not have shocks, our tires would spend about half of their
time in the air, on the rebound from some road impact. Damping
converts this rebound (kinetic) energy into heat and stops the tire's
vertical motion, thus allowing it to fall back onto the road sooner.
Their REAL purpose is to dampen the motion of the tire, but a side
effect is to somewhat smooth out the ride.

However, you should note that high performance shocks will be
designed to maximize the time the tire spends on the road, and this
will also give you a rough ride, not a smooth one. My euphamism for
this is "good road feel" which is not what my parents want in a car.
They want minimal road feel, so most cars are not set up for best
performance.

Jim