Re: [T3] Late type discs and drums fit an early type3?

On 26 Feb 99, at 7:44, Steven Ayres wrote:

> => Will they fit the earlier type 3's ('64 Notch) and is it an easy mod?
>
> I haven't done this, so take this as tentative until confirmed by
> direct experience. Checking the manuals, it looks to me like the
> front-end upgrade is just a matter of changing out everything from the
> ball joints outward, and in the rear from the axle tube outward. You'll
> probably also want to switch to a dual master cylinder, which VW figured
> out in '67.

It is probably easiest to just swap the whole front axle beam from a
68-1/2+. You must upgrade to a late MC, tandem recommended. I think
the 4 wheel drum brake cars have a simplex MC which has a residual
pressure valve which is not compatable with disk brakes. The late MC
works with either disks or drums.

Jim