RE: [T3] Hydraulic lifters

I owned an aircooled Vanagon for 14 years (hydraulic lifters)  some notes:

>(2) Hydraulic lifters not only wear out, like solids; they also fail.
> They most often fail because it is very difficult to keep the oil of an
> air/oil cooled engine clean. Even the smallest particle of dirt can clog a
> hydraulic lifter. Going hydraulic means full flow oil filtration (a good
> thing for engines that require it) and regular oil changes. In this case,
> using fully synthetic oil is also a worthwhile idea, but if you have to
> change your oil regularly (not every 20,000km as is possible with
> synthetics) then this can also be expensive. But hey, it's only money.

> Replacing a stuck hydraulic lifter means completely disassembling the
> engine and probably also will require some other internal engine repair
> work.

I haven't checked the heads of a T1 hydraulic lifter engine, but in the
Vanagon, the push rod opening in the head is bigger than the case,
so that the PR tube can be removed with the head in place, exposing
the end of the lifter so it can be removed.  Did this a couple of times.
What happens mostly is that the oil drains out of the lifter after sitting
undriven (for a week or more).  It takes awhile for the oil pressure to
re-fill the lifter and work properly, I've been told (Vanagon list) that
although³_=anot really damaging.  Very loud.  A similar thing
happens to my Subaru if I let it sit for a few days, not a VW problem,
generic to hydraulic lifters.  Even if the head holes are small,
removing PR tubs and installing adjustable ones allows access
to the lifter.

Vanagon list consensus is that as long as the oil is changed regularly
you don't need to spend the $ for synthetics.  This applies to all
vehicles IMHO.

>(3) Adjusting your valves keeps you apprised of the state of your engine
> Purists like myself will hate me for saying this, but constant valve
> adjusting is over-rated.

I agree.

> Patrick "Have you seen my go-no-go valve adjusting tool" Morton
Actually, I haven't.  Pmail info.

If I find I need a new engine for my '67 during the ressurection, I would
go with a hydraulic lifter, full flow oil filter, balanced stock size engine.
Assuming the budget allows!  More likely a larger rubber band . . . .

Jeff
'67 Sqbk