RE: [T3] Hydraulic lifters

Anyone really interested in this issue should check out the type2
archive, where this issue was well hashed through, recently.  However, I
can quickly rehash a few points:

(1) The the type 1-3 engine was not designed for hydraulic lifters, as
James MacNaughton pointed out, and there are plenty of people out there
who have had bad luck with them.  Some places that do the conversion
rework at least some of the oil passages, as I recall, and probably use
a different cam, heavier valve springs, and maybe stronger pushrods
too.  The Type 4 engine had hydraulic lifters from '77 or '78 on, and
got all of these other goR&¦ëhough the case remained the same -- I
don't know if it was designed with their future use in mind).  I believe
that at least some of the Mexican type1-3 engines came/come with
hydraulic lifters, but I don't know the details on this (again, for this
and other non-type3-specific acvw info, try searching at
http://vw.i405.com).

(2) Hydraulic lifters not only wear out, like solids; they also fail.

(3) Adjusting your valves keeps you apprised of the state of your
engine, so you have some advance warning if a valve is stretching and
about to pop its head to dance around in your cylinder.  Also, it gets
you down under the vehicle, where you'll notice that your cv joint is
attached with only 3 bolts, and the gas line looks pretty dodgy.  Oh,
and helps you bond with your type 3!

(4) Quieter?  Yes, but if that's what you want ....  Hey, the solid
lifters sound more like an old VW.

Eric Forsman ,'73 Square
Baltimore, MD