Re: [T3] Rusty Floorpans

I went and grabbed the section of Innovations floorpan I have left in my
basement and measured it.  The thinnest section was about .040 inches.
The thickest section was 0.200 inches.  That works out to be 500%
variation in thickness by my calculations.  My original estimate of 300%
was a bit low.  Granted this was the extreme of the thickness variation,
but even in the relative flat of the floorpan the thickness varied by
more than a factor of 2.

This does not surprise me since the floorpan is obviously just sprayed
up in an open mold by hand.  This is the only way to make these parts at
this low volume and still make money.  You will always have this kind of
variation with this manufacturing process.

Sorry, but I still think the floorpan quality is medium at best.

And on the seat rail issue.  I agree that it would be difficult and ill
advised to try to mold this part from composites.  For our T3's (at
least the pre-72s) it is really a non issue since the rails are not
mounted to the floorpan, but to the tunnel and rocker.  I have seen seat
mounting points and seatbelt mounting point successfully molded into
composite parts.  These hardpoints can easily handle 35mph federal front
crash testing, but they are not simple through bolts.

Just my 3 cents worth.

For those who requested more info directly from me, I am working on it.
Should be out later tonight or tomorrow.

Later,
John Jaranson