Re: [T3] towing, part three

On 19 Mar 99, at 3:32, Michael Chaplin wrote:

> I tend to agree with Jim, but if one had to tow something...
>
> what about somehow attaching the tow bar to the frame (perhaps chaining
> it around). More fudamentally, is the issue attachment to the frame
> securely, or the weight of what's being hauled?

Keep in mind that there is NO frame on these cars. This is basically
a unibody car. There is a rear subframe, but it is a LONG way forward
from the rear bumper. While it would be just vaguely possible to
devise some way of attaching to the rear subframe to take the towing
tension, it would be much more difficult to design this to take the
compression that occurs during braking.

It would not be possible to design this to take any significant
vertical load (tongue weight.)

Jim