Re: Rusty Floorpans

Fiberglass:  I'm sure that one could build a nice car out of composite
materials; but fiberglass floor pans in a basically steel car strikes me
as a wrong in principle.  Maybe there are some installation methods that
mitigate the problem of the interface between these two very different
materials; but, the problem remains, no?

"Floorpans":  The type 3s I'm familiar with (post '71) have only ONE
floorpan, unlike the type1, going from rocker to rocker.  I imagine that
this provides some nice structural advantage.  You can preserve that
with quality repairs to the pan you have, assuming we are talking about
a few holes, and not the whole pan/tunnel/frontend assembly being rotten
(in which case you might try finding a good used pan, or a good used
bodyt for your nice parts vehicle).  And if you are doing repairs, then
the availability of replacement pans like those on the beetle or ghia is
not really an issue, since we're basically talking about sheet metal
here.  Welding in patches is an especially attractive option if you have
the late style seat mount.

Eric Forsman, '73 Square
Baltimore, MD