RE: [T3] castor

Caster and camber are the two largest reasons I won't bollux with the ride
height of my VW.  People have been lowering cars since the 50's for that
'phat' look; with varying degrees of success.

In my experience, the2pL¼ars that can easily take the modifications to
ride height, and those that can't (MoPar tends to be particularly picayune
about suspension changes, they have a torsion bar suspension that easily
lends itself to height mods, but one can never really get it plumb again).
Numerous VW mechanics I spoke to when I was building the killer 68 T1 I had
a few years back said that due to the 'advanced design' of the VW's front
end, it couldn't go up or down really at all, without permanently loosing
the ability to align the car 'true.'

I toyed with the idea a great deal (I was going to even cut up a perfectly
driveable square - I didn't know! - to get the spindles off it), and the
consensus was that it would cause more trouble than it was worth for a car
that had to be driven every day.  I know the Empire is going to send Star
Destroyers galore after me for my brazen comments, but they had to be said.

I've ridden in numerous lowered VW's (it seems that in Phoenix mine is the
only one *not* lowered), and I just dislike the ride.  At anything over 10
or so mph, the ride is absurdly jumpy, driving into and out of parking lots
ruins floor pans and mufflers, and the steering is very jittery.  The worst
ride I ever experienced was a Kombi (yes, it was the zillion-window job)
that sat about 2.5" off the ground.  A totally useless (for daily transport)
vehicle.  If the owner gunned the engine, when it revved down, it would hit
the macadam.

These are *my* experiences, and I know lots of people that drive heavily
customised vehicles every day, no complaints.  I strongly advise though,
before changing your steering geometry, you seriously consider your designs.
Lowering your vehicle is going to have a very distinct impact on your little
car's performance.

All of the technical things aside, I think the poor little thing looks silly
down on the ground.  But that's just me.  Sorry.

James 'Don't Hate Me Because I'm Light' MacNaughton