[T3] Saw another '66 Squareback in AZ - $1100

Okay, imagine the complete opposite of the stock '66 Squareback for $5900 -
that's the vehicle I saw last night.

I'll spare you the complete evaluation, I didn't make one.  It was an
interesting vehicle however.  Here's a quick description, and some comedy,
skip them if you just want the interesting part:

'66 Squareback, an originally Beige vehicle, paint had was worn through in a
few spots so the current owner sanded/DA'ed the whole thing down to mostly
bare metal and original primer, then primered the whole vehicle in order to
"prevent it from rusting anymore."   I took the liberty of pointing out to
him that primer is not water-proof and that it is probably rusting
underneath it, although it's probably not too bad, seeing that it's Arizona.
He was surprised.  The driver's rocker was also completely gone.  It was
lowered wayyy too low with "brand new temp tires" up front, 165s in the
back.  Original black front seats, a passengëSÊpanel and armrest was
the extent of the interior - no headliner, no other panels, no dash cover.
Wiring was messed up and the owner admitted he was really scared of wiring
so he couldn't fix it.  The battery had gone dead (still 6-volt) so he
couldn't start it.  It had newly rebuilt dual Webers on a stock 1600 SP but
the guy had never driven it in 9 years of ownership!  He needed money for a
house so he's selling it.

I was there for about 10 minutes when 2 other kids showed up, maybe 18 or
19?  This one guy was borrowing the money from his dad to buy it and had
come over 4 times already.  He brought his friend the self-proclaimed
car/electrical expert to get the car running so he could hear it before
purchase.  He made a few dumb statements just to prove he knew nothing about
Squarebacks, like commenting on its starter relays and seat belt buzzer and
how we should jump start the 6-volt car off his 12-volt battery.  I told him
that was a really bad idea and the seller's father, overlooking the whole
procedure/entertainment told him that was not going to happen.  I made some
comments about it being a real early '66 model, he asked me how I knew that
and I told him I read the VIN #, etc..  He proceeded to go off on how, back
in the '60s, Germany and other European countries used to have a 13-month
calendar of 19 or 20 days each (do that math!).  So, it might not even be a
'66 at all, you'd have to figure out what the German year was at that time.
I looked at him like he was the biggest moron I had ever seen and just said
"That's the biggest bullsh*t I have ever heard!  Are you crazy?"  He looked
surprised that I would doubt this fact and just said "That's what I learned
in school."  Okayyyyyy

Anyway, on to the interesting parts:
This '66 was completely 5-lug, correct rims, correct hubcaps, the engine was
even the earlier style with the screws for the fan belt cover.  The VIN was
366060xxx so that puts it around October, 1965 production of a 1966
model-year vehicle.  I couldn't figure out why it was essentiZâ:îomplete
'65 drivetrain.  It had the one-year only 6-volt emergency light setup, so
electrically it was a '66.  Weird, feedback is welcome on this, I'm
interested.  Did 4-lug come mid-year '66 or ?

The other interesting thing was the seller's father.  He said he had ridden
in the very first Bug ever brought into the US to the Linden, New Jersey
dealership. He said he and his brother were driving around and they heard on
the radio that the VW had arrived at the new dealership.  His brother, a few
years older than him at 17, drove over to the dealership.  There was no one
there so they looked it over and took it out for a test drive.  He was too
young to drive it at the time so his brother was probably the first
"interested customer" to drive it.  This supposedly was in 1949.  Pretty
cool...

Bye,
Everett Barnes
everettb@prodigy.net