[T3] '66 Squareback for $5900

I went and saw the '66 Squareback for sale in Phoenix for $5900.  Do a
search on http://www.traderonline.com and search on 1966 Vt|üI a really
poor photo of it.  Time was near dusk, about 6:05 p.m.

Overall, the vehicle was _very_ nice, but is it worth $5900?  I don't know,
you could probably build one this nice for $5900 but would you have a 57,000
mile, zero rust Squareback?  If it was $3000, I'd buy it on the spot.

The current owner was a pretty interesting guy - he provides old German and
other Foreign cars for commercials.  He had just sold the BMW 2002 that was
in the Taco Bell commercial and had several other low-mileage, original
Volvos and 914s.

Here's my evaluation:

Engine:
Carburetor air intake seal, metal thingy, and pre-heater hose missing
Stock exhaust - looked to be the factory original, chrome tip missing
New engine air intake seal

Interior:
Nice rear rubber cargo mat, 2 or 3 very small tears (1")
Excellent rear padding (under rear rubber mat)
Nice front trunk area
New carpet
Nice original upholstery
Good '66 only arm rests, driver's side handle cracked
Dirty headliner
It had white front door and rear passenger panels, which I believe to be
correct.
The seat and rear cargo panels were red in color, with the front seats being
highbacks.  To the best of my knowledge, a '66 Squareback would have lowback
seats and the upholstery should match the front door panels - White.  I
guessed that the original owner must have decided they wanted highback seats
at some point, perhaps for safety, but I fail to understand why they would
replace the seats with red ones.  The red upholstery appeared to be factory
original, perhaps from '68, as it had some wear.  The current owner did not
have any information on this topic, he in fact, believed the seats to be
original and argued about it.
It had factory shoulder belts and no lap belts (dangerous!)
Heater lever did not seem to work - I could not move it, all other air
controls appeared to be functional
Dash cracked in the usual places around the speaker but in good condition
otherwise

Body:
Door seals original and trashed - All need to be replaced
Hood seal original and trashed
Rear hä‡l missing, some damage was noticeable around the lip of the
seal, perhaps damage from hauling/loading something?
Nice 1 year old paint - I assume the original color was Sea Blau so it
appears the repaint was a shade or 2 off from the original but it was dusk
so I could be wrong
Cherry floorpan
Zero rust vehicle
Some battery acid around battery inside but no damage has been done
Nice original paint in inside fender wells
Repainted without removing any seals, fender beadings were painted over,
minor overspray on edges of original window seals
Rechromed bumpers
New WCM side and lower chrome

Electrics:
Dash lights did not work
6-volt lights real bright
Battery hold down and cover plate missing
Electric chokes worked
I did not pay attention to whether the dash lights worked - oil and
generator lights
Emergency signals were functional

Suspension:
Nothing represented as new but seemed to be in good shape

Brakes:
New master cylinder - "$150 from Bill and Steve's"
New brakes and lines

Engine:
Smooth running
Started up and idled nicely
Carbs were "Cleaned by my Porsche mechanic"
No apparent leaks
Looked like a factory '66 engine
Fuel pump was not factory correct but was original style

Road Test:
Front end creaked a little over speed bumps, grease it?
Brake pedal needed adjustment
Shifter sloppy, difficult to engage some gears and reverse lock-out plate
MIA or busted, definitely needed a shifter bushing, which he said he would
pursue
Engine lacked power, I suspect it is out of tune or just not broken in yet.
(only 30 miles on rebuild)

Other:
Used in Haggar (?) jeans commercial in Chicago
2nd owner
Some paperwork from original owner
57K miles
30 miles on rebuilt original engine (I didn't check the engine #s), original
was frozen from 20 years of sitting
Partial toolkit w/bag
Original jack
Stock radio bracket and antenna but no radio
Purchased in Germany as a US-spec vehicle
An original California car
Original CA black license plates were turned in to the DMV when the 2nd
owner bought it (woops!)
Original bolt-t`<of roof rack included but not installed on vehicle
(holes were filled when painted)

- Everett