[T3] 4 bolt brakes to 5 bolt wheels

Hi List,

I want to put 5-bolt chromies on my '63 Notch.  The problem is that I have
late 4-bolt brakes ('69 T3 discs on front, '70 T1 transaxle in back).  I
heard I can put Thing brakes on the back, as they are 5-bolt for the same
year, and get "flat adapters" on the front.  Can one really just bolt
Thing brake drums on?  And will the adapters make the front wheels stick
out too far?  Is there a generally better way to perform this conversion?

Brian
'63 Notch, Flagstaff