[T3] Parting 71 Fast (rusted out)

I'm getting a fast introduction to type 3s.  Over the past two days I
removed bumpers, fenders, drive train, rear suspension (one piece --
nice feature!), interior (except dash), gast tank.  Today its gonna be
the doors (philips head screws, yuck!), glass, dash, front/rear
behind-the-bumper panels, right side floor pan (left is rusted out).
This car is rusted out, but the front axle beam is perfectly solid.
I've got lots of questions, but I'll just ask a couple here.  (1) Do
these type 3 front ends never rust out (unlike the Type 1 & 2 beams)?
I'm wondering if this is somethD1αρ should be saved, or if every
type 3 owner out there is already in good shape with an extra in his/her
basement.  (I'm running out of basement space due to VW parts -- please
let me know if anyone needs anything.)  (2) Does anyone really have so
much heat that they use the thermostat system mixing in cool air with
the hot?  This just strikes me as crazy.

Eric    '73 Square