[T3] Ah, that was the year! (Long and boring)

Reader advisory:  The following is part historical, part personal, but mostly soporific.  Don't read it if you have something more important -- like trimming your nose hair -- to do.  Or while operating heavy equipment.

Today I have been reading a 1957 issue of Road and Track magazine ("35 cents the copy).

1957!

That was the  year in which, after waiting eleven months for delivery, I took possession of my first new automobile...a pavement-scorching 36hp VW beetle. Yes, I splurged $25 more for the only option available: leatherette seats.

In 1957 the hot selling items for readers of Road and Track were driving gloves, wind wings, and tonneau covers.

But what could one get for his VW?

 -- Volkswagen owner's handbook, $2.00, postpaid.

 -- Folding gearshift, $8.95

 -- VW 3-in-1 instrument case (fuel gauge, oil temp, ammeter), $29.95

 -- Carpet mats, complete set, $15.95, postpaid.

 -- [My favorite] Multi-Luber."You can now grease your car in 4 seconds--for
    only 1/4 cent-- while you are driving.  Multi-Luber give you that 'just
    lubricated' ride every day!"  $29.95

 -- [And, the precursor of the Dark Side Phenomenon]   The Judson
   Supercharger:  "The reliability you want, the performance you need.
   ...50% more horsepower at your command".  Call for prices.  [Hey, what's
   wrong with 36 hp?]

What a year!  After having put myself through college by working for 60 cents an hour, I graduated and  took my first full-time job at an astronomical salary of $4700 a year!  All that money and a VW...what more could one ask for?  Life was ®ì^
Thank you for humoring me my reminiscences.  When someday you are in your dotage and the attendant is spooning oatmeal into your mouth, you will understand the mind set.

Now, someone find out what was selling for the first few years of the T3...

Phil (We get too soon old and too late smart) Dillard
dillard@suu.edu