Re: [T3] Microfiche scanning?

	The best way is with...

	...a Microfiche scanner!

	There's one in town here at the University of Michigan engineering
library.  I've used it a bit.  (Actually, I suppose it's just a regular
microfiche that can project the image onto a fairly standard scanning
mechanism somehow.  That's what it looks like, anyway!)

	I've scanned the Type III parts microfiche a bit with it, but the
big problem with that microfiche viewer/scanner is that it's only set up
for the newer, smaller size microfiche (microfishies?;).  You kind of have
to let the larger VW microfiche get pinched & stick out from between the
glass plates.  It would work fine if you cut it in half...!

	I've tried to scan with higher-end flatbed transparency scanners
at the greatest interpolated resolution, but it's just fuzzy.  I suspect
that the technology in 35mm negative scanners would be pretty close to the
right resolution, but I'm not certain about that.  (You'd&–** have to
chop up the microfiche then!)

	I don't have a proper viewer at home... to look at the T3 'fiche,
I've cannibalized some lenses from a little telescope & mounted them in a
cardboard tube (a tube that, strangely enough, bears a remarkable
resemblance to what's found at the center of a roll of bathroom tissue...
hmmm...).  Hold it up to the light, squint a bit, and read away!

-Greg