Re: [T3] Weird Problem Update

#4 could also have a tight valve; check it again.

 I removed ALL of the oil from the engine and
> found that it did indeed contain gas. After I changed the oil I let the
> engine Idle for about 15 minutes and found no oil comming out so I took
> it for a test drive ( couple of blocks). It seems that when the engine
> is under load it builds up enough pressure to pump the oil out the
> breather tube, but when it's idleing it's OK. I also checked the oil
> pressure and it is at a steady 40 lbs.

It is normal to have more blowby under load since that's when the
pressure in the chamber is highest, too.

> This brings me to a few more questions. The only way I can figure that
> the gas can get into the oil is through the carbs (broken or washing out
> of the rings) or a problem with the fuel pump. The fuel pump is a stock
> variety. Is it possible for a fuel pump problem to dump gas into the
> crankcase AND build up enough pressure in the crancase to cause my
> problem? I am thinking of replacing it just to make sure.

The most common means of entry for gas in the crankcase is from a
mixture that is too rich, especially in cold weather with an engine
which does not have a functioning thermostat.  If the engine warms up
well,Ã"D drive off the extra gas.

If you remove the fuel pump, be careful not to drop the pushrod down
into the crankcase.  If you do, you get an instant excuse to rebuild.

You could TRY putting a big glob of grease in the bottom of the fuel
pump.  If there is gas leaking there it will wash out the grease and
you will be able to see that it is gone if you pull it in a couple of
weeks.  It it is still there, it is just good lubrication for the
pivot.

Jim