[T3] Reflections on the Dark Side.

Typ 3,

Although I generally think of myself as a purist when it comes to the world of Volkswagens - I like original parts, I really love NOS parts, I love collecting original and NOS parts, I like what my Square is in its original form and could never consider any metal modifications to any of my VWs - a few cold and dark thoughts struck me this evening as I ripped out my skanky 31 year old carpet set.

PJM: Those dark siders ... 2 liter engines, rear disc brakes, five speed transmissions, slammed suspensions, billet engine parts, de-chromed bodies, chopped rooflines, aftermarket sunroof installations. A Typ 3 with Cal-look windows, no bumpers and one piece side wi}×>he horror of it all.

DS: Stop fooling yourself ... the Dark Side has you already, just admit it.

PJM: No, it's not possible. I am not one of them, I wouldn't do that to my Square. I like originality, I must adhere to the shape and form that is true to the Volkswagen engineering spirit: Strength thru Joy! (felt like marching around the shop but didn't have my boots on ... a curry brautwurst smothered with onions did suddenly appear in my right hand - no garlic though)

DS: Purity? Need we mention that your front suspension is lowered by 6cm?

PJM: Well, that uh ... I ...

DS: And was at one point slammed 10.5cm?

PJM: That was pretty low - but uh, but I raised it back up a turn.

DS: Right. Because you failed your annual vehicle inspection due to lack of suspension travel. Then what about those Dell 'orto 34mm FRD carbs? We Dark Siders loved it when you tossed the original Solexes in the trash!

PJM: They leaked! The linkage was history, Brosol replacements come from Brazil, I'd have to win the lottery to afford new linkage. I can't go over, cannot be going over to the dark ...

DS: By virtue of your new engine, complete with those wonderful carbs, W-110 cam, Kennedy clutch, 9.5:1 CR, 043 heads, Crane ignition and Facet fuel pump, you have already lept over to the Dark Side.

PJM: I would have never thought it possible but ...

DS: Well, to be honest, what threw you over was actually that dark day when you installed that AutoMeter Monster tachometer under the dash!

Damn. As much as I hate to admit, the Dark Side has shown through; you got me. It must have started a year or two ago when I was actually planning to install a fuel injected, 2.1 liter wasserboxer engine in my Square ... air and water? That would have been the Anthacite Black Side. Who knows, that complete engine is still sitting in a corner of the gŠ—Ê.

Long live the Dark Side.

Patrick "I'm fine as long as I only need metric tools to work on my Square" Morton

Patrick Joel Morton
Rauhankatu 28 as 27
FIN -- 20100 TURKU
Finland

Home of the V-Wauhtipiste Volkswagens!
- "Kraft durch Freude" -
1963 Beetle (Helmut) - Deluxe Limousine
1967 Variant (Urs) - Squareback
1970 Beetle (Otto) - Sunroof Limousine

"We have everything but misery, because that
can't be bought with money."
- Kai Lehto, October 1998