[T3] Computing offset

Does anyone know how to CALCULATE wheel offset, or backspacing, when the
wheel
WIDTH changes?  It's my understanding that when a rim becomes wider or
narrower
the offset of the rim should change to compensate for the change in geometry
so
everything "feels" the same according to steering and the bearings.

I already know how to measure offset so don't answer that question!

   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, R.I.P., ORPCA member
   '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, boringly bone-stock
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/