Re: [T3] Odd type 3 problems

> ATTACHMENT part 7 message/rfc822
> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:43:14 -0500
> From: "Ben Wampler" <ben@erupt.com>
> To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
> Subject: [T3] Odd type 3 problems
>
> Hello,
>
> I've driven my '71 Fastback thousands of miles and
> have yet to have a
> problem with it until the other day.
>
> I was coming home from work and I went to pass a
> slow moving vehicle. I gave
> it gas, but it didn't do anything. From that moment
> on, the rest of my way
> home it was bucking and jerking. Position of the
> throttle made no difference
> on how it bucked and jerked and it didn't feel like
> it was going to make it
> home.
>
> Everytime I slowed down I noticed an odd whining
> noise coming from the front
> of the vehicle (fuel pump?). As I finally pulled
> into my driveway about 15
> miles later, the Generator light came on and
> wouldn't go out if I revved the
> engine. And unhooking the battery would kill the
> engine. I drove it back to
> the garage (a couple miles) like this.
>
> I observed outside of the vehicle there was a
> whining and gurgling noise
> coming from underneath the front of the car when it
> idled.
>
> A couple nights ago, I had to move it out of the
> garage. It started right up
> and the Generator light wasn't on. There was no
> noise from the front of the
> car and it seemed to run strong. I unhooked the
> battery and the engine
> stayed running. I drove it to a gas station way at
> the other end of town and
> it ran perfectly, no jerking or generator light.
>
> Guys, what exactly is wrong with my car? I'm afraid
> to drive it thinking its
> going to break down and I can't enjoy my new paint
> job and riviera wheels
> that I wasted my life-savings on ;)
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Sincerely,
> Ben W.
> '71 Fastback
> '74 Karmann Ghia

 I don't know if this will help you any or not,
however I just had a similar problem. For the past few
weeks, my 71 Fastback been losing power but only while
going uphill.  She would cruise fine on the
straight-away but slow on the acceleration. Then she
began to  sputter and jerk on the climb, then that
progressed into  sputtering and jerking on the entire
drive, then came the occasional backfire (all within
the span of a few weeks). I had replaced the ignition
coil since mount had broke (it had gave me problems
earlier) and that didn't work.  So, being the new vw
owner that I am, I took it to the shop.  She was in
dire need or a tune-up but they also discovered that
the distributor was old and needed some work (however
I don't know the details)   She was driving better and
faster than when I first got her a few months ago.Now
there's no hesitation, sputtering,or jerking. and I
forgot to mention it, my gen. light was coming on and
wouldn't go off until I hit the gas and know that
problem is fine also.  I hope this helps w/ your
problem; as I said, I'm just getting into the VW scene
so pardon my ignorance if this is something thats
obvious.