Re: [T3] Persistant hiss fro mfuel pump

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 00:32, Dave Hall <mailto:dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk>
wrote:
>The other red (does it have black as well?) is the ignition-on
>supply.

Both look just red but it's a bit grubby there.

>Remove and touch the two reds (ign. on) for the pump to run.  (checks pump
>and its wires is OK).

OK, pump started up when I did this.

>Check power is reaching the relay on blue/yellow from the ECU relay under
>back seat with a voltmeter.

Yes, ignition on puts 12 volts on this lead, ditto on the grey one.

>Check relay as above (remember to remove ECU grey wire first).  Pump
>should
>run.

Do you want me to put 12 volts on the blue/grey terminal? Seems like that
is working OK.

>If it sounds the same as it has been doing, it sounds as if the ECU has
>been damaged.

Is that a small relay style box under the back seat?

>This "hiss" sound; is it just running, or doing something less happy?

Just sounds like the fuel running though the loop. Car runs fine although
the idle is a bit low since I moved the carpet off the gas.

Here is fun thing, with the ignition off I hooked the voltmeter on the
blue/grey terminal and turned on the flashers. The terminal went from 0-12
volts in time with the flashers. So that looks like the fuel pump relay is
OK and somewhere else there is an interaction between it and the hazard
relay.

I tracked the blue/grey lead back to a wee box on the back seat kickplate,
beside the heater outlet.

Calendar arrived this morning, I'll hang it beside the relief map of
Scotland.

aedan

1971 VW fastback
1989 Volvo 240GL

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and we will bury them with
their own confusion.

We shall prevail.