Re: [T3] generator problems, rebuild?

On 23 Dec 99, at 17:23, eglenn@paulweiss.com wrote:

> My genorator started binding up tuesday night.....  It was sort of embarrising
> seeing that I was on a first date.  Oh well..  i happen to have  had a set of
> main shaft beraing for  genorator in my tool box for two years...  (i sort of
> plan for every problem when driving cross country..

Lucky that you have the bearings, but they are easy to buy at any
bearing house....

> If I want to replace the bearings in the genorator do I have to "polorize" it
> after reassembly or do I just though it back in....  If so what are the big
> things to look out for when polorizing?

By far, the best thing to do is to just disassemble it enough to get
the armature out and then just replace the bearings. DO NOT attempt
to repolarize. Unless you remove the field windings, there is no need
to do this and 80% of the time the person doing it screws it up and
gets it wrong. YOU ARE TIME AND MONEY AHEAD JUST NOT DOING IT.

In 30 years I have only seen 1 generator that needed to be
repolarized, and I have rebuilt many. The one that needed to be
repolarized was in a car where the owner put the battery in backwards
for awhile.

Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it!